Posts Tagged ‘Storrs Park’

Arts and Crafts Houses in the English Lakes (Part II)

August 13, 2011 1 comment

Broadleys, Storrs Park

Broadleys is another ‘Arts and Crafts’ house found in Storrs Park. Ten minutes down the road from Blackwell, Broadleys is now home to the Windermere Motor Boat Racing Club. Charles FA  Voysey (1857-1941) was nine years older than MH Baillie Scott. Voysey is sometimes hailed the ‘pioneer of modern design’, due to his preference for plain interiors (e.g. oak panelling) and concentration on simplicity. Trademarks include wide over-hanging eaves, steeply pitched roofs and broad chimneys. Whitewashed walls, lead casements and custom designed furniture complete Voysey’s designs.

Broadleys served as a holiday home for A Currer Briggs of Leeds. The house overlooks Windermere to the west, incorporating three bow-front windows that extend over two storeys. Voysey divided the space to form a double-height entrance hall with the drawing and dining rooms on either side. Servant accommodation is kept in a wing to the north, while gardens terrace down to the lake and moorings below. Voysey’s style would strongly influence suburban housing before 1930.


Arts and Crafts Houses in the English Lakes (Part I)

Blackwell, Storrs Park

Windermere railway station (opened 1849) popularised tourism in the English Lakes. Fifty years later, Storrs Park provided wealthy businessmen with the opportunity to construct their own country retreats. Blackwell (1900, MH Baillie Scott) and Broadleys (1898-1901, CFA Voysey) are two fine houses designed according to Arts and Crafts principles.

Taking their cue from activists like Ruskin and Morris, Scott and Voysey developed a housing style based on simplicity and social life at the time. Interior volumes flow into one-another, with discrete rooms (such as the drawing room, library, dining room) for each domestic activity. Entry is typically from the North, with a large hall for meeting and entertaining guests. Importance is placed on the house as an object in the landscape. Terraces and sunken lawns require careful garden planning.

South Elevation, Blackwell

Blackwell was commissioned for Sir Edward Holt (1948-1927), a wealthy brewer, in 1898. The house is sited on the highest point of land within Storrs Park. Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott, a promising architect, was asked to design a family holiday home, where Holt would entertain guests. The house is both informal and traditionalist, with an asymmetrical design and complicated roof profile. The multitude of chimneys and simplicity of material finish lend a picturesque feel. Formal gardens incorporate a south lawn, accessed from the principle rooms, and lower west lawn, facing the lake. The Holt family owned land down to the shores of Windermere, allowing them to influence the wider landscape beyond their home.

The Drawing Room


Scott described the interior of Blackwell as ‘a charmed territory where everything shall be in harmony’. This is reflected in the attention to detail, handicrafts and bespoke furniture within the house. On entering, a long panelled corridor provides access to the ground floor rooms, ending with a view over the lake. The hall forms the heart of the house, allowing the family to meet guests, and referencing the halls previously found in Medieval life. Space is generous, creating an opened interior. Scott uses a double height space, overlooked by the Minstrel’s Gallery. Flexibility is incorporated with sliding doors that allow servants to pass in the corridor outside.  The dining room opens off the hall in a way that fore-runs open-plan interiors. Details, such as the inglenook fireplaces and broad stairway, romanticise English life, echoing the phrase ‘an Englishman’s home is his castle’.

Furniture at Blackwell is mainly bespoke, designed by Scott himself. The architect tried to create a total work of art (gesamtkunstwerk), bemoaning ‘every architect…must have his enthusiasm dampened by a prophetic vision of the hideous furniture with which his client may fill his rooms’. Morris’ Sussex Corner Chair (1860’s), crafted from beech and rush, makes an appearance. Designs incorporate harvest themes, flowers and birds. Many furnishings were built at ‘The Handicrafts’ in nearby Kendal, owned by Arthur Simpson (1857-1922). Examples include the Daffodil  dresser (c. 1905), and writing bureau (c. 1910). Both architect and craftsman developed a strong friendship, resulting in the commissioning of Simpson’s own house, Littlehome. Other interior decoration includes the Peacock frieze in the main hall, and blue ceramics for the fireplaces.

When reviewing Blackwell, Herman Muthesius dubbed it ‘one of the most attractive [houses] that the new movement in housebuilding has produced’. The German author wrote ‘Das Englische Haus’, mentioning the finest houses of the time. The home was modern and forward looking, using electricity and central heating. During the Second World War, Blackwell was converted to use as a girls’ school, Huyton College. This continued after the war, until 1976. Blackwell reopened in 2001, after conservation work. Now in the hands of the Lakes Arts Trust, the venture is celebrating its tenth anniversary. For more information, visit